What college did LeBron James go to? The answer may surprise you: He did not go to college at all.
LeBron James is one of the most famous and successful basketball players in the world. He has won four NBA championships, four NBA MVP awards, and two Olympic gold medals. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, and has inspired millions of fans with his skills, leadership, and philanthropy.
What College Did LeBron James Go To?
|Ohio State||LeBron James said that he would have gone to Ohio State if he had attended college, as he is a fan of the Buckeyes and wanted to stay close to his hometown of Akron.|
|Duke||LeBron James received an offer from Duke, one of the most prestigious and successful college basketball programs in the country|
|Kentucky||LeBron James also considered Kentucky, another powerhouse program that has produced many NBA players.|
|North Carolina||LeBron James was a fan of North Carolina growing up, as he idolized Michael Jordan, who played for the Tar Heels.|
|Name||Height||Weight||Salary||Profession||Date of Birth||Nationality||Net Worth||Age||Monthly Income|
|LeBron James||6 ft 8 in (2.05 m)||250 lb (113 kg)||$41.2 million||Basketball player||December 30, 1984||American||$1 billion||38 years old||$3.43 million|
How LeBron James Skipped College and Entered the NBA
LeBron James was a basketball prodigy from a young age. He started playing organized basketball when he was nine years old, and soon became a star on his local teams. He attended St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron, Ohio, where he led his team to three state championships and earned national recognition as the best high school player in the country.
He was so good that he was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated when he was only 17 years old, with the headline “The Chosen One”. He was also the subject of a documentary film called More Than a Game, which chronicled his journey from childhood to high school stardom.
LeBron James had many college offers from prestigious programs like Duke, Kentucky, and North Carolina. However, he decided to skip college and enter the NBA draft directly after graduating from high school. He was eligible to do so because he was born in 1984, which was before the NBA implemented the rule that requires players to be at least 19 years old or one year removed from high school to enter the draft.
LeBron James was selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers as the first overall pick in the 2003 NBA draft, making him the first high school player to be drafted first since Kwame Brown in 2001. He signed a rookie contract worth $18.8 million over three years, and made his NBA debut on October 29, 2003, against the Sacramento Kings. He scored 25 points, six rebounds, nine assists, and four steals, becoming the youngest player ever to score at least 20 points in his debut.
Why LeBron James Chose to Skip College
LeBron James had several reasons to skip college and enter the NBA draft. Here are some of them:
- He wanted to fulfill his dream of playing in the NBA as soon as possible. He had been passionate about basketball since he was a kid, and had worked hard to develop his skills and talents. He felt ready to compete at the highest level and challenge himself against the best players in the world.
- He wanted to help his family financially. He grew up in poverty, with a single mother who struggled to provide for him. He saw basketball as a way to escape his difficult circumstances and give his mother a better life. He knew that by entering the NBA draft, he could earn millions of dollars and secure his family’s future.
- He wanted to avoid potential injuries or scandals that could ruin his career. He was aware that college basketball was not without risks or controversies. He had seen other players suffer serious injuries or get involved in academic or legal troubles that affected their draft stock or eligibility. He did not want to take any chances that could jeopardize his health or reputation.
- He wanted to focus on improving his game and learning from experienced mentors. He knew that college basketball had its benefits, such as exposure, education, and networking. However, he also believed that he could gain more from playing in the NBA, where he could face tougher competition, access better facilities and resources, and receive guidance from veteran coaches and players.
How LeBron James Succeeded Without College
LeBron James proved that he made the right decision by skipping college and entering the NBA draft. He has had an amazing career so far, achieving many milestones and accolades. Here are some of them:
- He has won four NBA championships (2012, 2013, 2016, 2020), two with the Miami Heat and two with the Los Angeles Lakers.
- He has won four NBA MVP awards (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013), becoming one of only five players to win it four times or more.
- He has won four NBA Finals MVP awards (2012, 2013, 2016, 2020), becoming one of only four players to win it four times or more.
- He has been selected to 17 NBA All-Star teams (2005-2021), tying Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for the most selections ever.
- He has been named to 13 All-NBA First Teams (2006-2018), breaking a tie with Kobe Bryant and Karl Malone for the most selections ever.
- He has been named to six All-Defensive First Teams (2009-2014), becoming one of only nine players to be named to both All-NBA First Team and All-Defensive First Team in the same season six times or more.
- He has led the NBA in scoring once (2008), assists once (2020), and minutes played twice (2007, 2017).
- He has scored over 35,000 points, grabbed over 9,000 rebounds, and dished over 9,000 assists, becoming the only player in NBA history to reach those numbers.
- He has played in 10 NBA Finals (2007, 2011-2014, 2015-2018, 2020), becoming the fourth player to play in 10 or more Finals and the first to do so with three different teams.
- He has won two Olympic gold medals (2008, 2012) and one bronze medal (2004) with Team USA.
Social Media Influence
LeBron James is a very popular and influential basketball player who has a large and active social media presence. He has accounts on Twitter and Instagram, where he posts updates about his life, career, opinions, and causes. He also interacts with his fans, friends, and fellow athletes on these platforms.
LeBron James is a living legend who has achieved incredible success without going to college. He is an example of how talent, hard work, and determination can overcome any obstacle and lead to greatness. He is also a role model who has used his fame and fortune to give back to his community and support various causes. He is widely respected and admired by fans, peers, and critics alike.
He may not have a college degree, but he has a legacy that will last forever.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What high school did LeBron James go to?
A: LeBron James went to St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron, Ohio. He played for the varsity basketball team from his freshman year until his senior year. He led his team to three state championships and earned national recognition as the best high school player in the country.
Q: What number did LeBron James wear in high school?
A: LeBron James wore number 23 in high school, in honor of his idol Michael Jordan. He also wore number 23 in his first stint with the Cleveland Cavaliers (2003-2010) and in his current stint with the Los Angeles Lakers (2018-present). He wore number 6 in his second stint with the Cleveland Cavaliers (2014-2018) and in his four seasons with the Miami Heat (2010-2014).
Q: What college did LeBron James’ son go to?
A: LeBron James’ eldest son, LeBron James Jr., also known as Bronny, is currently a junior at Sierra Canyon School in Chatsworth, California. He plays for the varsity basketball team alongside other sons of former NBA players, such as Zaire Wade (son of Dwyane Wade) and Shaqir O’Neal (son of Shaquille O’Neal). He is considered one of the top prospects in his class and has received offers from several colleges, including Duke, Kentucky, and UCLA.
Q: What college did LeBron James’ wife go to?
A: LeBron James’ wife, Savannah Brinson, did not go to college either. She met LeBron when they were both students at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School. They started dating when she was 16 and he was 17. They got married in 2013 and have three children together: LeBron Jr., Bryce Maximus, and Zhuri Nova.
Q: Has LeBron James ever gone to college?
A: No, LeBron James has never gone to college. He skipped college and entered the NBA draft directly after graduating from high school in 2003. He was selected by the Cleveland Cavaliers as the first overall pick. He said that he would have gone to Ohio State University if he had attended college, as he is a fan of the Buckeyes and wanted to stay close to his hometown of Akron, Ohio.
Q: Why is LeBron James not playing in the NBA?
A: LeBron James is currently out with a right foot tendon injury that he suffered on Feb. 26, 2023, against the Dallas Mavericks. He stayed in the game and helped the Lakers overcome a 27-point deficit, but he has not played since then. The Lakers announced on March 2 that James would be reevaluated in approximately three weeks.