Jayda Wayda braids are a popular protective hairstyle characterized by 5 long, chunky braids – 2 in the front and 3 in the back. The hair is first tied into a ponytail using a rubber band before braiding to get the signature look.
What are Jayda Wayda Braids?
- 5 jumbo braids – 2 front, 3 back tied into a ponytail first
- Long, chunky braids
- Uses hair extensions for length and fullness
- Laid baby hairs/edges
- Beginner-friendly and easy-to-install
The style is inspired by influencer Jayda Cheaves (known as Jayda Wayda) though she didn’t invent it. The look is versatile and works on all hair types. Creativity is encouraged through colors, textures, and accessories. Maintenance involves moisturizing hair and scalp. Can keep braids in for up to 8 weeks with proper care. Remove gently, and keep hair conditioned. Tutorials demonstrate processes from prep, parting hair, adding extensions, and braiding, to styling baby hair. Useful for step-by-step guidance on achieving the look.
Classic Jayda Wayda Braids
- 5 jumbo braids – 2 in front, 3 in back
- Hair tied in a ponytail first before braiding
- Uses hair extensions for length and thickness
- Laid baby hairs/edges
- Versatile for all hair types
Blonde Jayda Wayda Braids
- Same 5 jumbo braid concept
- Incorporates blonde braiding hair for a pop of color
- Great way to experiment with color
Fulani-Inspired Jayda Wayda Braids
- Uses Fulani-style braids at the front hairline area
- The rest of the hair is tied into a ponytail and braided into chunky braids
- Gives a modern twist to the traditional Fulani braid
Curly Jayda Wayda Braids
- Creates curls at the ends of the braids using rollers or flexi rods
- Gives the braids a more feminine, romantic vibe
- Works well with all textures from straight to coyly
Accessorized Jayda Wayda Braids
- Incorporates hair jewelry like cuffs, beads, cowry shells
- Allows creativity in styling the 5 signature braids
- Great way to dress up this simple style
Half-Up Half-Down Jayda Wayda Braids
- Leaves out some braids in a half-up style
- Creates a fun, flirty look
- Variation to the usual down style
How To Maintain Jayda Wayda Braids
If you are looking to maintain your braids, follow the steps below.
- Make sure to moisturize your scalp at least once daily once the braids are installed.
- Wash your braids at least once a week to keep them clean.
- Protect your hair at night by wearing a bonnet or scrap.
- Sleep with a satin pillow to help protect the hair.
- Don’t wear the braids super long, as this can cause build-up with your natural hair.
Long Black Jayda Wayda Braids
These are cute braids that you can wear if you want to wear a jumbo style. A large section of the hair is divided into a big star, and she has a total of about 10 to 15 braids. This style is great if you are looking for a protective style.
Boho braids are always so pretty, and these are super cute. I love how the hair section is in an image of a heart. This style would be perfect for a holiday such as Valentine’s Day.
Jayda Wayda braids are a trending protective style that is easy, versatile, and inspired by Jayda Cheaves’ signature 5 jumbo braids look.